Friday, September 14, 2007

Dear Edie,


"No, no, this is the revolutionary costume. I never wear this in East Hampton." -E.B.B.

I haven't seen the movie...yet, but I saw an interview with Christine Ebersol, who is playing the part of Edie Bouvier (yes, related to Jackie O) Beale on Broadway and as soon as they started discussing the background, I started researching!
Edie reminds me of a woman who lived down the street from me when I was a child. Emily Gaskin and I thought she was a witch. She kept her shoes, which had large, gold buckles in a long line on the porch. In the backyard, she had this dead tree that she hung white, plastic milk jugs on and I swear there was a large black cauldron underneath. Anyway this documentary strikes a cord of fascination I've missed for a long time now...maybe ever since then.
I've included a clip below. Normally I hate clips with contemporary music overlapping but this is just too perfect.

Wanna learn more? Grey Gardens
Here's a clip of Christine Ebersol's performance:

No comments: